This is one of the most complicated and intricate desserts we’ve ever made. Given the amount of time and number of ingredients and steps involved in the recipe, we are not going to put it all down on the blog, but feel free to send us a message if you want more details! The general process is as follows:
- Bake a thin chocolate sponge cake in a jellyroll pan. Roll in a towel dusted with powdered sugar and let it cool for several hours.
- Make marshmallow frosting and spread it all across the unrolled cake. If the cake cracks while being unrolled it is okay.
- Roll up the cake. This must be done very gently and there will probably still be some cracks, but they will go unnoticed later.
- Frost the top and sides with chocolate ganache icing, making lines in the ganache for the yule log appearance.
- Make meringues in the shape of mushroom stems and caps. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKO-K9aqTN0 . We used some of the ganache to attach the mushroom stems and caps. Dust the meringues with cocoa powder to make them look dirty on the log.
- Arrange the Buche de Noël as you please.